Please Bring to the Approved Adoption Location:
Items to Bring:
Preparing at Home:
Bringing a new dog home is a very exciting time. You will go through the 'honeymoon' period which can last anywhere from 2- 6 weeks while your new dog learns to trust you. Take everything slowly - don't throw everything at the dog at once or have high expectations - set your new dog up for success and think in terms of acclimation of weeks and months rather than days. Puppy proof your house no matter how old the dog is - plants, electrical cords, food on lower shelves, cat boxes, etc. All dogs, no matter the age will have potty accidents, and as such, should be watched initially as if they were 8 week old pups.
Items to have Ready at Home:
- 2 - 3 quart water and food bowls - stainless steel is best - avoid plastic.
- Food - any PREMIUM brand. Avoid foods with by-products, rendered fats or meats, Ethoxyquin, BHA, BHT, or those that list a grain as the first ingredient. You can find information on foods at www.dogfoodadvisor.com/.
- Canned pumpkin - your dog will likely have diarrhea for the first few days because of change in water, food and environment. You can ease this by adding canned plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) a couple of tablespoons twice a day with feedings.
- A crate and baby gates - no new arrival should be allowed total unsupervised freedom in your house.
- Grooming tools. The most popular tools used by malamute owners are a grooming rake and greyhound comb. Make sure the tools don't scratch your skin, or it will irritate theirs.
- Toys - a kong is great - you can put canned food, peanut butter, liversausage (or just about anything) in it for quiet time. As far as other toys, it varies from dog to dog what they like. Avoid rawhide or string toys as they can cause intestinal blockages and choking.
Be in Contact With:
- Your veterinarian. You will need to make an appointment with you vet for a check-up/baseline. IAMRA dogs are fully vetted and we will give you a copy of their paperwork at adoption.
- Local dog training facilities. Check out local obedience classes and schedule a class. It should be within (approximately) 30 - 60 days of your adoption.
- IAMRA e-mail group. Joining the "IAMRA Adopters" Facebook group is a contractual requirement and there will be instructions on how to join in your adoption packet. Please join within 24 hours of adoption and introduce yourself.